2011 NEC/PV Meeting 5/6 June 2008-Golden CO [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks bill at brooksolar.com
Tue Apr 8 16:48:21 PDT 2008

Michael,

Rant on.

To answer your second question--NO!

I was the one to press the issue to hold face-to-face meetings on code
issues. The pressing issue is that we must have the 2011 revision proposals
done by the end of October. The email process has started and there have
already been a few iterations on these issues. However, very few on the
RE-wrenches list has been involved in the PV industry forum and almost none
were involved in the Technical Review Committee that met in the mid-1990s to
revise the 1999 NEC Article 690. For those that were involved in these
face-to-face meetings, they would clearly articulate the huge value that
these meetings had.

It is understandable that everybody is under short-term construction
pressures, but the only reason there is grid-connected construction
happening today is because of the dedication of many people, that some would
call "professional bureaucrats", who paved the way to have a grid-connected
PV market.

Those that are interested in making a positive impact on the NEC code-making
process needs to start planning today to set aside the time to attend this
meeting in Colorado. If you can't make the meeting, read the proposals and
comment on them.

As it stands today, only 4 people have provided substantive comments to the
existing 2011 proposals. The only people who have the right to complain
about the code-making process are those who have taken the time to become
heavily involved in the process. Otherwise I see complaint as substance-less
potshots and nothing more.

I can't see a time in the foreseeable future when I will be less busy, but
that will not impact my desire to participate in the 2011 NEC. I will make
as much as possible to participate. Others on this list should consider
becoming more involved. It requires a longer view than most people have, but
folks in the solar industry like to consider themselves as very long-term
thinkers and doers.

Rant off.

Bill.