AEE Dump Load Element for Water Heaters [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell tcreswell at ozarkenergyservices.com
Mon Mar 31 19:21:05 PDT 2008

Thanks Jay and Drake,

I've found Rectorseal to be great and have used many cans over the year.

I certainly thought about going to AC route but didn’t feel the system had
the AC capacity to spare.  But with DC I can PWM the dump load with the
Morningstar controller and I feel the control will be better.  One option is
to use the existing AC elements but run DC to them.  My wattage goes way
down but its better then nothing at this point.

One thing that I haven't figured out is what's going to happen to the
existing T-stat when I run it on 48v (56v) and PWM that???  I've searched
all over and find nothing rated for it.  Why don't the people that sell the
elements have such a product?  I think a snap disc would be the most
reliable way to do it but have yet to find one rated for it.  I've thought
about all sorts of ways of doing it with thermistors, relays and contactors
but they rapidly fail the KISS test.

Best,
Travis Creswell
Ozark Energy Services