Testing GFCI's [RE-wrenches]

Nick Lucchese nickl at sierrasolar.com
Fri Mar 28 12:21:34 PDT 2008

<x-flowed>

Hello Again,

No responses but that's okay. After another conversation with the
customer the story changed a bit. The neutral to ground at the sub
was removed and put back in place at the main service. I was able to
instruct him back to my original configuration and problem solved.
Thanks to those who may have been scratching their head to offer an
explanation.

Have a great weekend,

Nick A Lucchese

>--
>Greetings Wrenches,
>
>I recall this issue being brought up before but couldn't find it. My
>apologies to those frustrated by my unsuccessful attempt at locating
>it in the archives. I have an installation 1.5 hours away and just
>received a phone call from the customer after being visited by the
>inspector. For now it's a single FX on an E-panel with a string of
>4-L16's, PV to be added later. There is utility present although the
>customer has just one 20 amp circuit running from the main service
>box 200' away. Neutral to ground bond occurs after E-panel in main
>load subpanel. Presently he is running the entire house (just his
>tools for construction) on this single 20 amp circuit from the
>utility while he builds the house. When the inspector uses his GFCI
>tester with the E-panel in inverter bypass mode (utility) everything
>checks out okay and the GFCI trips. Once the utility is removed from
>the equation and in stand alone mode/ inverter power the tester says
>that the neutral and hot wires are reversed and the GFCI's won't
>trip. Does anyone recall why this is and what type of GFCI tester
>could be used to verify that the GFCI's are working properly? The
>inspector had truly convinced him that the hot and neutral output
>wires were reversed so I got the customer to open up the E-panel to
>trace the wires and confirm that in fact everything is wired
>correctly. I'd really like to understand how this can happen so that
>the customer can get his final and out of his higher interest
>construction loan by the end of the month. Any insights?
>
>Thanks for your time,
>

>Nick A Lucchese
>

>- - - -
>Hosted by Home Power magazine

>Archive of previous messages: http://lists.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/read
>
>List rules & how to change your email address:
>www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php
>
>Check out participant bios: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/

Nick A Lucchese
NABCEP Certified PV Installer
Planet Home
General Contractor # 808851
Sierra Solar Systems
563C Idaho Maryland Road
Grass Valley, CA 95945
tech info and foreign orders:  (530) 273-6754
order line: (800) 51-SOLAR (US only)   FAX:  (530) 273-1760
e-mail:  <mailto:nickl at sierrasolar.com>
world wide web:  <http://www.sierrasolar.com>

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php