Testing GFCI's [RE-wrenches]

Nick Lucchese nickl at sierrasolar.com
Wed Mar 26 12:07:49 PDT 2008

Greetings Wrenches,

I recall this issue being brought up before but couldn't find it. My
apologies to those frustrated by my unsuccessful attempt at locating
it in the archives. I have an installation 1.5 hours away and just
received a phone call from the customer after being visited by the
inspector. For now it's a single FX on an E-panel with a string of
4-L16's, PV to be added later. There is utility present although the
customer has just one 20 amp circuit running from the main service
box 200' away. Neutral to ground bond occurs after E-panel in main
load subpanel. Presently he is running the entire house (just his
tools for construction) on this single 20 amp circuit from the
utility while he builds the house. When the inspector uses his GFCI
tester with the E-panel in inverter bypass mode (utility) everything
checks out okay and the GFCI trips. Once the utility is removed from
the equation and in stand alone mode/ inverter power the tester says
that the neutral and hot wires are reversed and the GFCI's won't
trip. Does anyone recall why this is and what type of GFCI tester
could be used to verify that the GFCI's are working properly? The
inspector had truly convinced him that the hot and neutral output
wires were reversed so I got the customer to open up the E-panel to
trace the wires and confirm that in fact everything is wired
correctly. I'd really like to understand how this can happen so that
the customer can get his final and out of his higher interest
construction loan by the end of the month. Any insights?

Thanks for your time,

Nick A Lucchese

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php