Calculating string amperages [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at charter.net
Tue Feb 26 16:59:18 PST 2008

<x-flowed>

Ray, Colleagues:

I have been scratching my head ever since Ray sent me the e-mail below.  I
was very certain that at one point in time I had been convinced by a
Fronius engineer that 3 strings of Solar World modules are allowed without
fusing.  When Ray sent this e-mail, rechecked my calculations and found
that they do not work.

Just now I realized that Solar World changed the specified series fuse
ratings sometime in the recent past.  In 2006 and before, the SW175 had a
series fuse rating of 20 amps, which allowed the three strings
((3-1)*5.3*1.56<20).  I actually found a photo of a module label if anyone
really needs documentation on this.

The series fuse rating now is 15 amps and three strings are not
allowed.  Two strings are allowed.

I apologize, Ray, for leaving this hanging.  My memory is not what it used
to be.

William

At 11:11 AM 2/8/2008, you wrote:

>Well we do have some discrepancies here. William was saying we could
>go to 3 parallel Solar World strings, John Berdner here says only
>one, and I'm still saying 2 is good.
>John I have 2 issues with your excellent analysis.
>1) 690.8 B) (1) exception: "Circuits containing an assembly, together
>with its overcurrent device(s), that is listed for continuous
>operation at 100% of its rating shall be permitted to be utilized at
>100% of its rating."
>This means that with the right breaker, we don't have to use the 1.56
>multiplier for array current, only 1.25 which is for edge of cloud
>effect, etc. I have seen Solar world modules exceed their nameplate
>rating, so this multiplier is appropriate.
>2 x 5.1 A x 1.25 = 12.75 Amps on a 15A breaker that is rated for 100%
>duty is acceptable. (most Outback and Midnite solar offerings are
>100% rated BTW)
>

>R. Walters
>Solarray.com
>NABCEP # 04170442

believed to be clean.

This e-mail has been scanned for SPAM and virus infections using
Barracuda.

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com