Evaluation of XW charge control [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at charter.net
Fri Feb 22 13:17:16 PST 2008

<x-flowed>

Kirpal:

Thanks for your comments.  This reminds me of a potential design defect of
the XW charge controller:  The manual indicates that you must put the unit
in standby before disconnecting the unit or damage could result.  If indeed
failure to activate standby mode on disconnect will damage the unit, we
consider this a design flaw.  It is likely that untrained customers will
fail to navigate to the standby mode and instead just activate the circuit
breaker disconnect.

To prevent this, we are installing these controllers with two pole
breakers-- one pole for input and one for output.  With this configuration,
the unit is entirely disconnected with one action, hopefully preventing damage.

William Miller

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com