Another "Pie-In-The-Sky" wind turbine? [RE-wrenches]

Dan Fink danbob at otherpower.com
Thu Jan 24 22:14:13 PST 2008

Yes Matt -- you bring up a couple of other things I should have
mentioned. A cP of 0.35 would be absolutely excellent for a small wind
turbine, and  that would mean 0.5 * 1.23 * 5.89 * 7.15^3 * 0.35 = 463
watts at 16 mph with a 9 ft diameter rotor. I also have a feeling that
this manufacturer may not know much about wind power, and that any fraud
may be unintentional. But advertising a cP > Betz is absurd, and once
the money is paid the customer will be be very disappointed if the
installer connects a kwh meter.

The sad part of the whole deal comes from what Larry said
originally--the customer asked him (I paraphrase) 'why are you you
trying to sell me a Bergey / Skystream / Proven / ARE / Kestrel / when I
can get this MUCH better wind turbine instead, for less money?'

Ouch. That darned near takes an entire BOOK to answer! I recommend Paul
Gipe's book to the customer. And I recommend that Larry....punt. I won't
even mention the tower issues at 20 ft AGL......

DAN

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com