Module wiring safety [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at charter.net
Wed Jan 23 16:33:49 PST 2008

<x-flowed>

Sky:

I think your are taking this a bit further than is intended.  No one is
saying that touching the outside of an insulated wire is going to kill
anyone.  Let me try to explain it one more time:

What we are saying is that unprotected wire, when subject to abuse that
will, given time, very likely happen, can expose energized metal parts and
pose a serious safety hazard.

Here is just one scenario:  The similarity between a Unirac ULA ground
mount and a child's play structure is self evident.  That children will
want to climb on this type of structure is inevitable.  That children will
accidentally grasp one of the leads such as pictured on my rogue's gallery
is also inevitable.  Will the weight of a 40 pound child swinging on one if
these wires stretched across a metal edge pierce the insulation?  It seems
very likely to me.  Will the pin or socket pull out of the plastic
connector shell?  This also seems highly likely.

There is consensus on the above logic in the electrical industry at
large.  This is why you must protect any high voltage wire (>30 volts) with
conduit if it is accessible to the public.  The only exception to this I
know of, as of now, are PV circuits.

Your reference to a utility drop is a non-sequitur:  The utility drop is 10
feet in the air.  Your reference to lamp cords does not apply either for
the reason Michael Welch cited:  these are cord connected devices-- when
kids tug on them, they pull out of the receptacle.

There has developed a temporary precedent in the PV industry that is
allowing unconduited high voltage leads.  My  theory is that the regulating
industry has been slow to react to the fact that PV systems are no longer
limited to 12 volts, 24 volts or even 48 volts nominal.  They now push the
600 volt ceiling.  The new code requirements are written by those who are
experienced in fire and electrical safety responding to new high voltage
string technology.

I really hate to propose something that might affect anyone's bottom line,
but the pursuit of quick profit over long term public safety does not cut
it, in my value system.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree, and I see no reason for you and
I to discuss this any further.  The science is conclusive however-- 400 VDC
at 5 amps is lethal.  I can't figure how you rationalize out of that fact.

Respectfully,

William Miller

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php