no safe modules for ground-mounted arrays[RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters walters at taosnet.com
Sun Jan 20 23:46:09 PST 2008

<x-flowed>

Absurdity Matt? I started at a reasonable idea of 6.5 ft, (pole
height at 10 ft depending on the rack) now we've spooked ourselves up
to 10 ft. But if anybody watches basketball, those guys can slam dunk
on a 10 ft goal, so I think we need to go to 12 ft........

Really, we've had solar installations here in Taos, practically since
solar modules were available, and some of the worst wiring ever
dreamed of. No deaths that I've ever heard of (we've been trying hard
to keep it that way too).

We're going to need to be reasonable here. Keeping kids from hanging
off high voltage DC lines is a good idea, but  when they're old
enough to reach over 6.5 ft, they're smart enough to know better.  I
actually think there is more chance of module damage than kid damage
from that anyway. ( BTW, I've got a couple of wipper snappers myself
here to do all our destructive field testing)

Nobody responded to my earlier idea of field installing J boxes over
the MC cables, either. I guess it would void the module warranty,
unless we had pre-approval, but it would work. Bill's metal covers
looked better than anything else I've seen, but I agree there are
still issues with that too.

ray at solarray.com

On Jan 19, 2008, at 5:51 PM, Matt Tritt wrote:

> Holy Smokes! According to this reg, and if applied to ground
> mounted PV, the mounting pole would need to be about 15' above
> grade. Has anyone else on this list noticed the level of absurdity
> possible when following a "logical" train of thought?  The biggest
> worries we used to have concerned keeping horses and bulls away
> from installations, and not falling from a roof, now it's
> technology proliferated to the point where hazards to humans is the
> worry because of the high voltages (or paranoia) involved.
>
> If accessible PV wiring is 48 volts or less, the problem goes away.
> Or, to blaspheme, maybe the US could join the rest of the world and
> use something other than the NEC to govern electrical practices.
> Please, anyone; how many of you, or anyone you know even remotely,
> has been injured or killed by any wire on the back of an array?
>
> If this all goes where it seems to be headed, the cost of PV could
> reach a point that puts it out of the reach of even more people,
> and the only companies able to accomplish installations will be the
> ones that can afford the hugely expensive insurance policies that
> will materialize to cover the "perceived" liabilities involved.
>
> Oh, for 1980!
>
> Matt T
>
> Drake Chamberlin wrote:
>

>> The bottom of the drip loop for a utility service drop needs to be
>> 10' minimum from grade level.
>>
>> Drake
>>
>> At 04:46 PM 1/18/2008, you wrote:
>>
>>> Regarding taller pole mounts:
>>>
>>> That is an interesting take on the definition of readily accessible.
>>>
>>> Center point of saftey switch handles can be no higher than 6
>>> 1/2'.  This
>>> insures that they can be easily accessed for operation.
>>>
>>> I can reach up to almost 8' without getting a ladder.
>>>
>>> I would think that the "circuits" would have to more like over 8
>>> 1/2' to be
>>> deemed not "readily accessible".
>>>
>>> MPF

R. Walters