Evolution of the Quick connect [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at charter.net
Mon Jan 14 12:58:18 PST 2008

<x-flowed>

Phil:

Protecting wiring behind a PV array is easier than most folks realize.  We
have been using Solar World since they were Arco and, until just recently,
the modules all had j-boxes with 1/2" knockouts.  We covered our wiring
with conduit and developed techniques which allowed us to install
connectors onto non-metallic liquid tight in about 3 seconds.  Total cost
of materials is about $2.50 per module.

Here is a link to a few photos that illustrate some of the concepts:
http://mpandc.com/practices/Procedures/PV_wiring/PV_wiring.html

We had arrangements to purchase Solar World modules with the J-boxes until
just recently, but now we are forced to use modules which do not allow us
to remove the USE cables.  We are now developing procedures to protect the
USE cables without the use of conduit since we no longer have knock-outs to
connect conduit to.  We are pretty much on-line for ground mounts as
pictured in the above link, and we are working out procedures for keeping
roof-mount wiring safer than other installers do.  This will be a market
niche for us capturing the high-end and safety conscious consumers.

We are hoping advances in the NEC and local codes will force the
manufacturers to bring back the j-box.

Please feel free to contact me off-list if anyone has questions.

William Miller

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com