[RE-wrenches] Maintenance agreements?

Geoff Greenfield geoff at third-sun.com
Mon Dec 29 06:43:51 PST 2008

Hello and happy new year fellow listers...  I am happy (as are my batteries) for longer solar days as we move forward around the sun...

I am faced with yet another client who is surprised that I don't have a "maintenance agreement" or "plan" to offer them (similar I guess to such plans offered by HVAC contractors?).

We have developed a simple one page explanation that basically says we will work at our hourly rate for non-warranty items, for labor not covered on warranted equipment, and for scheduled preventative maintenance (or unscheduled emergency maintenance)

I keep hearing that maintenance agreements are "easy money" - (?).  One of my HVAC contacts shared that they give a "preferred rate" as well as a "hotline 24 hr #" and priority service to those on a plan, as well as annual "start of season" tune up. I am considering something similar...

I am curious about the pros and cons of these agreements, as well as any other words of wisdom...  links to reference materials would also yield kilowatts worth of appreciation.

For a brighter energy future,

Geoff Greenfield
Founder and CEO
Third Sun Solar & Wind Power Ltd.