[RE-wrenches] Dielectric grease,torques & module glass

Tom DeBates habitek83 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 24 05:18:33 PST 2008

good day Wrenches,
  I've had a list of questions to pose. Please excuse me if these have been addressed previously.

1. What are your thoughts on using dielectric grease on terminal connections?....especially on exterior connections, even if those connections are in a weather-tite enclosure.

2. What are you using for a torque setting for 1/4-20 module clamp bolts? Seems most manufacturers spec 15 ft.-lbs. We have found this to be too high (especially with t-bolts) and are using ~ 140 in.-lbs.

3. A tip on module glass: We recently had some Evergreen 170's stored on a roof (flat) for a project (uncovered!). The roofers decided that they would make a good workbench and when we went to install there was some caulk (urethane?) on the face of one of them. After trying to remove the caulk with a wood shim, I tried using mineral spirits which, of course, was totally ineffective. The roofers happened to have some acetone on-hand which I borrowed and removed the caulk...big mistake. After installation, it was obvious that there was a module with "smudges" that we could not wash-off. I contacted Evergreen about this but was unable to receive an answer to my question as to whether-or-not the acetone had etched or removed the anti-reflection coating. I think that it did. We replaced the module.

thanks,
Tom

Tom DeBates

Habi-Tek