[RE-wrenches] Single Source Blues

William Miller wrmiller at charter.net
Fri Sep 12 21:37:00 PDT 2008

Friends:

I have whined to this forum before about quick connectors.  I have
expressed concerns about safety issues, and I am sure I've expressed this
point enough times.

I am now painfully aware of another big downside to this hardware:  Single
source supply.

I am dedicated to using Multi-Contact Gen 2 hardware because that is what
comes with the Solar World modules.  I have no choice-- I am stuck with
them.  No one else makes them.

I now find that the MC connectors I use (panel mount) are not available due
to a "Quality Assurance" issue at the factory.  They have been unavailable
for three weeks and there is no prediction on when they will be
available.  Through unlucky coincidence, I am in the middle of two large
projects and do not have enough connectors to complete either job.  If I do
not complete the jobs, I can not bill for them.  I still have payroll and
suppliers to pay, but without the connectors, there will be no revenue to
cover those bills.

I miss the good old days when I could choose from competing brands of
non-metallic flex connectors, flex and building wire.  These are parts that
are made for generic usage, are readily available and come from many
sources.  (And they protect the wire from the environment and the
environment from the wire.)

We are now victims of whatever monopoly manufactures the style of quick
connect we must have.

William Miller