[RE-wrenches] [Fwd: Re: ice accumulation]

boB bob at midnitesolar.com
Thu Aug 14 22:00:49 PDT 2008

I was discussing this off-line with Ron (Copied below).  I cc'd here but
I didn't quite "have it right" yet for this new list site,
so this is also a test...

He's using HIT 195 modules which,  ~might~ just turn out to be  ~700
Watt heating elements.  I've never tried
applying this much power to a module, but it could theoretically work.
(?)   The 700 Watt (approximate)
figure comes from Voc times  66% (10 Amps) Series Fuse current Rating
for these modules.  I see that the
rating is 15 Amps.  You could go higher in forward current but this
seems like a decent limit cuz you don't
want to trip the breaker.

I'd love to know if this actually works at melting snow and ice.  What
you use for this exactly, I'm not sure....
Maybe a "Defrost "  mode in some future MPPT charge controller  ??

BTW, Rainex doesn't seem to keep the snow from sticking on my parked car
windshield here, but the windshield isn't vertical either.

boB