Battery charging with XW series equipment [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at charter.net
Wed Jul 9 13:59:59 PDT 2008

<x-flowed>

Colleagues:

We installed our first XW system recently and it has caused some questions
and consternation.  The client is very technically inclined (he owns a
small telephone company) and has graciously agreed to work with us to
familiarize with the equipment.  Here is a list of question/concerns:

1.      The 24 IBE batteries we have do not appear to be receiving a full
charge.  At-rest voltage caves quickly at sundown to 48 or less.  I have
observed the two-stage charge cycle performed by the XW charge controllers
and I wonder if this is really superior to three stage charging.  Comments?

2.      The charge routine performed by the XW inverter is also
suspect.  Apparently there is no way to require a specific absorption
duration.  According to tech support, the absorption timer is simply a
maximum timer and that absorption ends when the charge tapers down to 2% of
the battery AH value.  We see the generator auto start and then shut off in
about an hour.  For a 1600 AH battery bank, this seem too short a time
frame to really get a full charge.  Should we increase the absorption
voltage?? Comments?

3.      The programmed variables for a number of the functions were
blank.   For example, the generator voltage start numbers (for 24 hour, 2
hour, etc) were not empty.  This puts a lot of pressure on the installer to
insert parameters where one would usually find them already
programmed.  The possibility is high that the installer might miss an
important parameter and have to drive back just for programming.  I thought
that the default parameters for the SW were excellent and I encourage
Xantrex to pre-program with these values.  It may be also that I have older
software and the new software has these values?

4.      What is the difference between newer version of the software and
the older versions?

Your replies are much appreciated.

-- _________________________________
William Miller
Miller Power and Communications
Voice :805-438-5600     Fax: 805-438-4607
email: wrmiller at mpandc.com
http://mpandc.com
License No. C-10-773985

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com