Standard PV Installer Contracts [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at netscape.com
Mon Jul 7 09:09:02 PDT 2008

Several weeks ago I started a thread complaining that we do not have any trade organization to help us with things like a standardized installers contract, as is typical for all other contractors and trade associations. You all have responded in large numbers by sending me what you are currently using for a customer contract, and whatever you thought was a good clause to include. Many of you also included your fees, labor rates, and copies of actual contracts.

I am in the process of digging through all the many pages of email attachments and trying to "boil" all this down into the best specific contract terms and clauses that all of you may want to consider using. Please be assured that I will not make public the rates or other confidential cost information that has been provided to me in this process, and again want to thank all those who sent materials.

I also received lots of emails that said you have been using only a "handshake" and no written contract or sales agreement. Considering residential PV systems may cost anywhere from $20,000.00 to $60,000.00, I find this a train wreck just waiting to happen.

Since I am not a lawyer, Bob-O has indicated that he may have a lawyer contact at NAPCEP willing to take a look before I make this list of contract clauses available. If any of you have still not sent suggestions, perhaps you can describe a client "horror" story you have experienced that may have been avoided if you had a contract clause that addressed this situation.

When completed and reviewed, I will NOT post this material on this list. However, I will send this to all who have contributed and any registered list member that sends me an email requesting a copy.

My email address is ------->    jryago at netscape.com

Thanks for everyone's help!

Jeff Yago

Jeffrey Yago, P.E.,CEM