350 feet to barn- grounding [RE-wrenches]

Steve Johnson stevejohnson at comcast.net
Sun Jun 29 14:34:54 PDT 2008

I have a grid tied installation where the panels are 350 ft. from the
inverter.  This is not a voltage drop problem because I have 370 Vmp DC
to work with so wire is sized < 1% Vd.

Is there any reason to run a ground wire from the barn to the house in
the underground conduit?  I can't think of one.  The 4 strings on the
barn will be combined at the barn, with a lightning arrestor and ground
rod installed.

At the house the DC disconnect will be grounded on the AC and DC side.
This seems fine to me but there is a gnawing subconcious feeling that
makes me ask this question.  Or maybe its the grouchy inspector.

Steve

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com