Question about system performance [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Sun Jun 15 20:17:56 PDT 2008

Wrenches,
Some months back, our largest utility's main engineer for Distributed
Generation was comparing customers' system sizes to actual outputs. This is
possible because the utility uses utility-grade REC meters to measure system
production. One Sanyo/Fronius based system calculated our at 77.5%
efficiency, which is unusually high.

I asked him if there was some way to make system performance data public. My
interest is for selfish business reasons: if actual performance data was
available to the public, and showed that our systems typically outperform
others' installations, it would be a tremendous sales tool.

The engineer's response was this:
"Allan, I hear you....and if you have examples of how other utilities have
reported on the quality of PV installers I would be most interested.
Facts:
1. We don't publish customer data. Just try to get revenue meter data...it
is not public data!
2. I am running an analysis of the data to determine factors that affect
performance.
Process is just beginning to make use of this data....how we will use it is
unknown at this point."
So my question is this: does anyone have examples of how other utilities
have published performance data, or have come up with ways to report on the
quality of PV installers, please share those approaches with the list.
Thank you for any help with this.
Allan Sindelar
allan_(at)_positiveenergysolar.com <mailto:allan at positiveenergysolar.com>
NABCEP certified solar PV installer