XW "sell" mode programming issue [RE-wrenches]

Dan Rice danrice at scinternet.net
Mon Apr 28 21:32:57 PDT 2008

Wrenches,

I've come across an issue with the XW 6048 operating in Sell mode when
connected to the grid. For those who haven't worked with the XW in a
grid-tie system yet, there are a couple of program settings that must be
"enabled" to get the inverter to sell. In order to program the inverter, a
System Control Panel must be connected to the inverter. In the main Setup
menu, Grid Support must be set to Enabled. In the Advanced Settings menu,
the "Sell" setting must also be set to Enable. Simple enough. One of the
purported advantages of the XW with the System Control Panel is supposed to
be that, once programmed, the inverter holds all settings, and the installer
can remove the SCP, preventing the system owner from tampering with settings
and messing things up (like an Outback FX with a Mate).

Here's the rub -when the inverter is completely powered off (all AC and DC
removed), the "Sell" setting in the Advanced Settings menu ALWAYS comes up
to the default "Disabled" setting when the inverter is powered back on.
Shades of the SW's volatile memory. Any grid-tie XW installers should take
note, since inverters get powered off by customers from time to time. If
your system owner has an SCP, you can teach them to reprogram the Sell
setting, but if you choose to install a grid-tied (sell-back) system and
omit the SCP, you're in for a service call if the customer powers off the
inverter some time. (I'd be interested to know if the G series Outback FX
inverters behave similarly -is this a UL-IEEE issue of some sort?)

I spoke to a Xantrex tech support assistant about this, and mentioned that
this issue would be posted here. I got a message back mentioning that Mark
will reply to this with Xantrex' explanation (something having to do with
there being a chance that if DC power has been removed from the inverter,
that could indicate that the inverter has been moved to a new location that
doesen't have an interconnection agreement with the utility!?? I hope I got
that wrong). In Xantrex's favor, the techs I've spoken to about the XW have
had live XW systems at their finger tips, and have been able to verify
problems or walk through menus using an actual SCP, not just a manual. Good
support there.

Caveat extorqueo.

Dan Rice
Abundant Sun, LLC.

Mark, BTW, it sounds like there are a number of reasons to retain the 12V
generator run signal option on the GSM. Does the software upgrade to the GSM
adds the AC2 In Good recognition without eliminating the 12 V generator run
signal option? Either-or (and both) would be good programming options -the
more flexibility, the better.

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com