Battery Bank Venting [RE-wrenches]

Richard Bogan rbogan at empire-solar.com
Thu Apr 24 16:02:39 PDT 2008

Hello wrenches,

We have a battery back-up / interconnected system utilizing PVX-2580L
Sealed AGM SunXtender batteries. The battery bank will be located inside
a utility room which is part of a large 2000 sqft underground garage.
The room has mechanical venting out into the garage. The garage has
8-10' ceilings and a large double garage door that goes up to ground
level.  It also has a couple of doors to finish portions of the basement
(wine cellar, maid quarters, Rec. room) and 2 stairways up to the first
floor living area.

Standard practice for us is to have venting but in this case the
basement walls are ~16" solid concrete walls with no available openings
for a fan to push air outside. We contacted the battery manufacture and
they gave us a reality scenario where the chances of enough hydrogen to
accumulate in this large of area to reach an explosive level is
impossible BUT, they are not fire experts and we should consult with our
local fire department for guidance.

If we have to we will core a hole into the foundation install a fart fan
and ducting but, I wanted to get your thoughts before that fun job.

Thank you!

Richard J. Bogan
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer (r)
Solar Operations Manager | Empire Solar Solutions, LP

The information contained in this message may be confidential and is for the intended addressee only.
Any unauthorized use, dissemination of the information, or copying of this message is prohibited.
If you are not the intended addressee, please notify the sender immediately and delete this message.

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com
This email was sent to: michael.welch at re-wrenches.org