Big Offgrid System Request for Guidance [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Mon Apr 14 14:51:28 PDT 2008

Wrenches,
We have been tasked with designing, supplying and installing an
off-the-scale power system for a high-end lodge. No ground has been broken
yet, but plans are in place and the project is real. It will include one or
two generators.

Very preliminary load profile is estimated at well over 300 kilowatt-hours
per day before system losses. Actual load profile will likely be less, but
not significantly so. Two preliminary quotes (design time all to be billed,
yes) is 1) all load supplied by PV with emergency use of generator, and 2)
50% gennie to load.

Obviously, this is well above the normal scale of off-grid systems, and thus
larger than the systems we have done to date. As such, in those few cases
where these kinds of questions have come up on the list, I haven't saved the
messages. So my request for help is focused on these questions:

1)	Whose equipment is capable of this kind of load profile? Xantrex XW
appears to limit at 18kW, Outback at 36kW. What else is out there that
works? It must be monitorable by satellite internet.
2)	Mechanicals could end up being over 1,000' from the lodge. This is a
long distance to run AC. Who makes higher-voltage equipment, such as 480V
(hopefully nobody, but I need to know the range of options)? As an
alternative, how is single-phase 240VAC best carried long distances - that
is, is big wire better than a pair of transformers?
3)	What are the keywords or dates that would let me search Topica
archives for past relevant posts?
4)	Who has done this before, that would care to contact me off-list
concerning serving as a paid consultant on this project at key points in the
design development and installation?

Thank you,
Allan at Positive Energy

Allan Sindelar