Retrofitting capacitors to appliances [RE-wrenches]

Carl Hansen Solarwks at cybermesa.com
Tue Feb 19 07:41:26 PST 2008

<x-flowed>

Greetings,

   There has been some discussion recently on the list pertaining to the use
of capacitors on appliances to get them to run on Mod Sine inverters and
other uses like helping out with the starting surge of motors.
  Well, at the direction of a local electronics repair shop I tried putting
a capacitor in series with 120vac input of a newer front loading washing
machine, my thinking was this would smooth out the inverters wave form. This
machine which is powered off of a DR3624 wouldn't run if the DC voltage was
above 26 vdc or so. The machine ran perfect over the last couple of years
if I shut off the PV input to the charge controller to keep the voltage down
whenever using the washing machine.
  To make a long story short, don't try this as it didn't work, in fact the
smoke was released from the electronic motor speed control and if there is
one thing we have all learned, its that the containment of the smoke in any
given electrical devise is vital to its operation.

  Carl Hansen
  Hansen&Sun Elect.

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php