So much for market demand [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at netscape.com
Tue Jan 15 10:35:22 PST 2008

We have been begging for modules with J-boxes to use on ground-mounted arrays to reduce shock risk to clients kids and the public, but module manufacturers refuse to make anything except pig-tails. I know many of you have been asking for the same thing ever since they were dis-continued, as each manufacturer started to used their own version of a quick-dis-connect. We have gone from using simple cut-to-length rolled-up conduit, to separate boxes of all kinds of special connectors, expensive crimpers, and custom-made cables that do not match from one module manufacturer to another.

I always thought when there was a big market demand for a product, the market would respond with the product needed - so much for market forces in this industry where manufacturers make whatever they want and you have to take what you can get.  I am guessing everyone is marketing now to Europe and their needs and we are left with "make-do" hardware trying to meet constantly changing codes that are far more demending than any other non-solar power systems.

With modules now only available with wiring connectors that are dangerous where accessible, and with code officials demanding wiring procedures that we cannot meet with current products, and when only very costly "make-do" wiring arrangements must be used to provide some level of wiring access safety, I see a perfect storm on the horizon and its called the 2008 NEC codebook.

Jeff Yago

Netscape.  Just the Net You Need.

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php