Equalizing battery charger [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Wongstrom thirstylake at interbel.net
Tue Dec 25 09:22:32 PST 2007

<x-flowed>

I agree that inverter/chargers seem to be the best choice for
charging offgrid batteries.

I have supplied about ten Iota dls-55's to mostly low budget off grid
DIYers in the past 5 years, adjusting the output voltage in the shop
to give an equalization charge of 15.3 volts.  Three of the chargers
have come back not working, all within the two year warranty and
quickly replaced by Iota.  Needless to say, I am getting gun shy.

Iota does have a special order charger modified in the factory to
provide an equalization charge.  Backwoods Solar sells these units.

Also, beware of the 40 amp Xantrex Truecharge which makes claims of
equalization capabilities, it has only 10a available for equalization.

Hellaluya, the days are getting longer!!

Jeff Wongstrom
NABCEP Certified Solar Installer
Thirsty Lake Solar
406-889-5324