Flex ware inverter bypass slide [RE-wrenches]

Mark Frye markf at berkeleysolar.com
Fri Nov 30 12:04:38 PST 2007

The issue of the door grounding is interesting and the devil is in the
details.

Yes,a ground wire from the inverter to ground buss will ground the
inverter, but what about the sheet metal of the door itself.  This a
piece of conductive material that could become energized, and must be
properly ground at all times, door open or door closed.

A standard method is to install a stud into both the door and the box
and use a braided ground strap to bond the door (see most Hoffman
enclosure with hinged doors).

Unless the door is properly bonded to the inverter chassis by some
specific method, it sounds like the MidNite falls short in meeting this
requirement.

boB Gudgel wrote:

> From Robin:
>
> Ain’t competition grand? Some of us handle it better than others I
> guess.
> I will address the issues that were brought up.
>
> AC bypass switch: This is a transfer switch. It does not need to be made
>
> with circuit breakers. The MidNite bypass switch operates very smoothly
> indeed. This is not an easy task.  The AC bypass switches I designed at
> Trace engineering, OutBack and MidNite are all similar, but slightly
> different. They all meet the UL requirements and they all function
> properly. It becomes a personal preference, not a safety or a NEC issue.
>
> Transfer switches are not required to turn both circuits off at the same
>
> time. Store bought transfer switches like the Square D at Trace work
> like the MidNite bypass switch.
>
> Separate bypass switches: This style of bypass is not as convenient as
> one that operates two or more inverters at the same time, but it is not
> a safety issue. Fifty thousand bypass switches that work like the
> MidNite bypass have been installed from Trace, Xantrex, OutBack and
> Midnite over the last 13 years or so.  Remember, we use breakers in
> place of the switches, so in the unlikely event that something went
> wrong, the breaker would trip. I am not aware of a single instance where
>
> this style bypass switch led to a problem. In a previous post, I
> mentioned an upcoming product that addresses the issue of single vs.
> dual vs. quad bypass switches. What this means is that you will have
> more choices available soon for larger systems. 95% of the E-Panel
> installations have been single inverters. Dual E-Panel installations do
> not yet have such a clear cost advantage over the competition as the
> single E-Panel installs.
>
> Another accusation about our bypass switch has to do with moving both
> the inverter output and the bypass breaker together at once. This is the
>
> way we did it for years at OutBack and how it is now done at MidNite.
> The OutBack bypass switches on dual and quads were changed to the
> present configuration while I was still president of OutBack. I actually
>
> made those changes. The reason for the change had nothing to do with
> safety. We just couldn’t get all the tolerances down to make a smooth
> operating switch, so we opened up the slots. This forces the user to
> manually turn the one switch on after flipping the slider. It also
> allows both breakers to be turned off. Either method is ok. NEC requires
>
> a separate generator disconnect box if the generator is not within site
> or is remote. This is more convenient and more obvious as the AC input
> disconnect if done separately. My electrician installed a separate
> generator input disconnect before the PS2 panel to meet code since my
> generator is remotely located. The PS2 can turn off both breakers at the
>
> same time, but my electrician did not believe this was adequate. Some
> installations do not require a separate generator disconnect due to
> [...]

Berkeley Solar Electric Systems

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com