Flex ware inverter bypass slide [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Thu Nov 29 19:20:36 PST 2007

William - I reviewed your diagram and although it works - it is not the
normal way that we expected the X-240 to be connected.

For a single 120VAC inverter with a 120/240 VAC generator your
configuration is acceptable - but normally the breaker would be
installed where it is switching both of the two hot wires for the
transformer and another two pole breaker would be installed just as a
generator disconnect / overload protection. Your configuration does
eliminate this second breaker by using the one supplied with the X-240
for both functions.

Your configuration limits both L1 and L2 to the 25 amp maximum of the
X-240 breaker - a regular configuration would allow higher currents on
leg 1 of the generator but only 25 amps on leg 2.  This may or may not
be a good idea.  Most generators will tolerate up to a 50% imbalance
without any problem - its just bad when you are using only one AC output
leg and leaving the other disconnected and trying to get more than 50%
of the generator's ratings from it.

The X-240 when used in a balancing configuration is effectively self
limiting - if too much imbalance occurs then it inherently limits the
current in most conditions so as to not let the breaker trip.  Its
tricky to work out and harder to explain - but its why we rarely hear of
any problems with them and if we do its almost always a wiring error or
so easy to fix issue such as balancing the loads better.

We retested the X-240 and with our current US manufacturer together with
the larger aluminum enclosures we found out that the cooling fan was not
required even at the 25 amp current level and higher ambient
temperatures.  If you need a higher current rating we advise going to
the PSX-240 which has its own enclosure and is rated at 6000 watts
versus 4000 watts and has a 30 amp breaker and built-in cooling fan. Its
on the OutBack pricelist.

Christopher

William Miller wrote:

> Friends:
>
> Todd raises an important question here:  Where in the circuit should the
>
> generator input breaker be located?  I like to be able to de-energize
> all
> of the busses in a given enclosure without having to walk any
> distance.  If, however, the generator disconnect is prior to the
> generator
> buses, opening the generator breaker disables the bypass system.
>
> Another feature I desire is to be able to de-energize generator feed to
> the
> inverter(s).  If you are bypassing the inverter, it has most likely
> failed.  If it failed catastrophically (or "let the smoke out", as we
> way),
> you need to remove both DC and AC feeds to it so it does not catch
> fire.  To do this and still allow bypass operation, you need a breaker
> after the generator buss, right?
>
> Adding to this input conundrum are the breakers for the X-240 if one is
> generator balancing.  So, to do an installation with a 240 VAC generator
>
> and one inverter correctly, one needs four sets of breakers:  1: 2 pole
> gen
> input breaker, 2: 2 poleX240 breaker, 3: at least one pole FX input
> breaker
> and, 4: the bypass breaker.  This is a lot of breakers required to just
> get
> Generator power into one inverter!!  This is why I always advocate for
> the
> four position Outback system even for one inverter.  It has so much more
>
> breaker space!
>
> One relief I have for this situation is to use the X-240 breaker as the
> generator input breaker.  Considering this case were we are converting
> the
> generator from 120 to 240 VAC, we are feeding the generator directly
> into
> the X240 anyway.  Furthermore, if the amount of generator current we can
>
> feed through the X-240 is limited to 25 AAC, this is the breaker to
> use.  See link: http://mpandc.com/case_studies/case_studies.html
>
> Lastly, Christopher Freitas, a question for you:  In the Flexware 500,
> where are we supposed to mount the cooling fan???
>
> William Miller
>

> At 05:02 PM 11/29/2007, you wrote:
>
> >So you are saying that its OK that the operator has to walk all the way
> >out to where the generator is to shut off its circuit breaker in order
> >to disconnect all sources of power from the loads?
> >
> >And you think this is acceptable and code compliant?  Come on now...

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas @ outbackpower.com
www.outbackpower.com