Flex ware inverter bypass slide [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Thu Nov 29 19:05:23 PST 2007

I think we are agreeing on most of this - other than one critical point:

On both the OutBack and Midnite AC bypass systems - the AC input or Gen
input breaker does not disconnect power from the bypass breaker - they
are not connected in series - each has there own connection to the AC
input bus inside the enclosure.

So turning off the AC input breaker does disconnect power to the
inverter.  We agree here.

Switching the AC output breaker to the "OFF" position also disconnects
the inverter from the AC loads.  We agree here too.

On the Midnite AC bypass system - turning off the AC output breaker for
the inverter forces the AC bypass breaker to the ON position.  This is
the flaw and is what is not acceptable in my opinion.

If the generator was on when a problem occurred with an AC load -
turning the AC input breaker off results in the inverter still powering
the loads.  Switching the AC output breaker OFF then turns the bypass to
the ON position - connecting the generator directly to the loads.

The only solution I see with this system is installing another breaker
into the system for shutting off the generator to the entire system.

With the OutBack AC bypass plate system - this is not required - you
simply switch all of the breakers to the off position and nothing is
energized.

Christopher

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.