Flex ware inverter bypass slide [RE-wrenches]

Chris Worcester chris at solarwindworks.com
Thu Nov 29 10:18:13 PST 2007

Hi Blair,
I should have written this back in April when we did a FW250 install last
spring. It was not sweet. In fact I have sworn them off until it goes back
to the drawing board. There was no way to do a code compliant install with
what was provided.
The toggle for the inverter bypass CB was just one issue I discussed with
tech support at length, before getting to the client's home. Tech support
agreed this didn't work. They had it out on the desk when I called! It
needed redesigning. Our client has a high profile system as he teaches
renewable energy at a local college. His system is a demonstration system.
I assumed the inherent design flaw issues I spent many hours discussing with
tech support over the course of a month in order to do a code compliant
install prior to this install would be addressed and rectified by now. I am
disappointed to hear they have not. I literally had the parts spread out
here for a month, attempting to make sense of it. (The manual seemed to have
gone to China and back with much lost in translation).  NOT A GOOD USE OF
TIME & a complete let down coming from a company we have all grown to
respect. I finally came up with a Code compliant buss solution, buying ILSCO
(or NSI Polaris) Insultap 4,5,& 6 hole #4 to #14 AWG busses to make the
wiring up. I could have drilled & mounted in the Red, Black or White OB TBB
busses but this would void the ETL listing, as the box doesn't allow room
for insulated AC or DC busses. What a nightmare! And then there wasn't
breaker space on one side for the MX 60 CB's and a GFP/2(soon to be required
on all PV arrays by the NEC). Oh well we just put the other CB on the back
where you can see it holding a mirror.
The MidNite Solar E panel is a neatly engineered package that we now use
without hesitation after the FW250 experience.
If the FW500 & FW1000 are not any better than the FW250 what else are we
supposed to use?
I was quite comfortable with the PS2 & PS4 systems having installed many of
them.
We did 5 off grid systems last year ranging from 1 to 10 OB inverters in
size.
This year we've done many grid tie systems & 2 off grid with the E Panels.
Maybe the drawing board will see the FW line before we have our next
encounter.

Sincerely,

Chris Worcester
NABCEP Certified PV Installer TM