evacuated tubes vs. flate plates [RE-wrenches]

Howie Michaelson howie at suncatchervt.com
Mon Nov 19 05:53:08 PST 2007

Thanks everyone for the feedback.  This generally confirms what I already
thought.

It does make me wonder if there are any wrenches out there that actually
prefer ET's to F collectors for any reason other than ease of installation
(not that that is insignificant, but it isn't what I want to make my
general recommendations based on)?  Or even use both types on a regular
basis and why?

I did see a chart on Apricus' website that seemed to indicated very little
production losses until the vertical angle of incidence was greater than
45-50 degrees.  Not sure if this is true, but if it is, then a near
vertical installation of ET's would be an advantage over FP's in
circumstances where vertical placement is necessary or preferential.  And
from what I've gathered, while ET's are more complicated and high tech (ie
less preferential), in circumstances where high angle of incidence is
required, then ET's seem to have an advantage.  And in snow country, a
near vertical position might help decrease the snow shedding problem
enough that it becomes an smaller issue.  Is this others' understanding?

I also second the question:  if there are big differences between ET's,
does anyone have recommendations or list of makes to stay away from and
why?

Hopefully this rehashing of this thread is helpful to others...

Thanks
Howie
--
Howie Michaelson
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer™

Sun Catcher, LLC
Renewable Energy Systems Sales and Service
http://www.SunCatcherVT.com
(cell) 802-272-0004
(home) 802-439-6096

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com