GFP on SDHW pv pump? [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 16 11:11:35 PST 2007

<x-flowed>

>From the 2005 NEC Code Handbook page 1021: Ground-fault detection and
interruption for PV systems should not be confused with the requirements for
GFCI protection, as defined in Article 100. A GFCI is intended for the
protection of personnel in single-phase ac systems. It functions to open the
ungrounded conductor when a 5-mA fault current is detected. In contrast,
devices meeting 690.5 are intended to prevent fires in dc PV circuits due to
ground faults.

I haven't kept up with SDHW system developments, but what's wrong with using
an in-line, fast-blow fuse on the low-wattage PV module circuit?