2007 Energy Bill without solar incentives? [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 10 08:34:21 PST 2007

<x-flowed>

(I'm moving this dialogue over to RE-Markets.)

Don,

I think most environmentalists agree that the energy bill supports a lot of
bad policies. However, stand-alone pro-solar national legislation has never
succeeded. Legislators bundle pro-solar bills with other energy bills. The
political reality is good and bad will be bundled.

Real PV growth in the US began May 2001 when the CPUC permitted 1 MW net
metering and $4.50/W rebates in conjunction with the 15% California state
tax credit and 10% federal tax credit and accelerated depreciation. When the
California rebate was reduced and the California tax credit was terminated,
US PV growth slowed. When the 30% tax credit began, US PV growth picked up.
When the 10-year, $3 billion California Solar Initiative began, US PV
boomed. Put the 30% tax credit at risk and US PV investment will stop. End
the 30% tax credit and US PV growth will stop.

Just because a law promotes "clean coal" (bullshit) and safe nukes (yeah,
sure) and the solar investment tax credit extension (hurray for our side)
does not mean you have to use or encourage the use of coal or nuclear
generated electricity. I say accept the bad with the good and continue to
work for change.

Joel Davidson
"Not all change is for the better, but nothing gets better without change."