Generwreck auto start [RE-wrenches]

Drake Chamberlin Drake.Chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Mon Oct 29 07:57:27 PDT 2007

The problem I encounter with auto starting the Generac, by bypassing the
transfer switch and normal controls, is that the battery charger is
disconnected.  Normally a 240 volt feed comes from which ever side of
the transfer switch is energized, to feed the battery charger.

There are several possible solutions.  In a backup system I'm working on
now, that has a large array and grid power, that needs the transfer
switch to feed either the grid or the generator into the Sunny Islands,
I've used a different method.

The sensor and battery charging wires are removed from the 240 volt grid
feed terminals, and fed through the protected loads panel. This circuit
is broken by the generator starting relay on the master Sunny Island.
This is somewhat simplified, since another relay needs to open as the SI
relay closes.

This takes more power to operate, but the starter battery will stay
charged, and the generator will auto start on inverter commands.  The
transfer switch works normally.

This would be less feasible with a small, off-grid system.  The best
solution is to get an Onan, or possibly a Coleman.

Drake

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com