Module warranty [RE-wrenches]

Larry Crutcher larry at starlightsolar.com
Wed Oct 17 12:23:43 PDT 2007

Jeff Wongstrom/ Sarah Anderson wrote:

> I would like to share a pleasant warranty response from Kyocera.
> With no arm twisting at all, Kyocera replaced an entire ten year old
> tracked array after two of the panels went belly up.  Kyocera also
> paid for travel and reinstallation.
>
> Unfortunately for those of you that like to use the KC 130 with jbox
> they may not be readily available.  According to Backwoods Solar's
> fall newsletter:

Hello Wrenches,

We have been selling Kyocera for many years to our RV customers and in
off grid systems in Mexico. Sometime during 2000 to 2001, Kyocera
experienced very high failure of the KC-120 module. We began replacing
the modules in 2003 and are still getting some back to this day. Perhaps
that is why they are replacing the entire array.

What we have observed is a solder splice on the foil trace opens,
usually on the right side (facing rear) and leaves the module with half
voltage. When the 120's ran out we started getting 125's then 130's. My
customers have always paid the labor and Kyocera paid shipping. Guess I
need to ask for some labor $$ from Kyocera next time!

We are down to 2 pallet loads and will not be able to get any more until
January due to a HUGE sale overseas. I sure wish they would take care of
their existing customers before sending off the entire production to a
single client.

Larry Crutcher
Starlight Solar
Yuma, AZ
Renewable Energy Products Powered by STARLIGHT

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com
This email was sent to: michael.welch at re-wrenches.org