battery costs rising [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Tue Oct 9 09:04:47 PDT 2007

Jay,
Lead-acid batteries are one of the most-recycled materials in our waste
stream, I have read.

I would suggest that you check with local auto salvage yards. One scrapyard
in our town buys (and sells) copper, aluminum, steel, and most other metals,
including batteries of all types.

The junkyard operators can tell you where to take batteries if they don't.
They're a commodity of increasing value, so they'll know.

And expect to be paid. I think our yard is currently paying 8 cents a pound
for lead-acid batteries. That's over $100 for a dozen L-16s; almost makes it
worth the struggle to haul them off and then hose down the truck bed. We
have always offered to recycle batteries when we install replacements. Most
customers appreciate it.

Allan