Digital utility meters, Bidirectional? [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 8 17:27:12 PDT 2007

HI I guess you have to ask the utility.  The meters my
utility uses has codes, if it reads 0000 then the next
reading is kWh used total for this meter, then shortly
it will read 0002 and the following reading is the kWh
supplied to the grid.  These meters give no indication
of instanous energy use or delevery.  If you are
testing a system use your clamp on amp meter and shut
off all house circuits, and the amps times volts is
the energy being delivered to the grid.  Which is the
production from the solar.  If you have lots of money
or have a good rental shop, you can use a Fluke meter
that tells watts via amp clamps and voltage clips.  It
will say if the power is going into or out of the
house.
Hope you can find this useful.
Darryl

--- Carl Hansen <Solarwks at cybermesa.com> wrote:

> Except thru possibly patient observation, how would
> one know whether a given
> DIGITAL utility meter is in theory spinning
> backwards or may be recording a
> solar back feed as  consumption by the household.  I
> realize there are many
> manufacturers of utility meters but any info would
> be helpful.
>   This meter in question is located in New Orleans
> LA.
>   Thanks
>     Carl
>     Hansen&Sun Elect.