SunDanzer Question [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Wongstrom thirstylake at interbel.net
Fri Sep 7 19:16:48 PDT 2007

<x-flowed>

Hello Jay,

We have been running a 24v F225 Sundanzer for a few years.  It draws
less than 2 amps.

When it was first installed on the back porch of the house under
construction it was hooked to a dedicated Trimetric.  This was not a
controlled experiment but I convinced myself that with ambient T of
70f the freezer used about 500wh/day at +10ºf setting.  If the
ambient T was halfway between 10 and 70 the freezer used half the
power.  Below 10f the freezer just sat there.  The compressor had no
noticeable problems at ambient temps around 10ºf.  Now the freezer is
in an unheated, shaded, northwest side mudroom(stays above freezing)
with the wall and floor insulation left out under and behind the
freezer.

Once, when the freezer was on the back porch, we returned from a
river trip to a freezer full of thawing venison, etc.  We bypassed
the thermostat and the freezer ran all night.  The next morning, upon
close inspection, an empty spider cocoon/egg nest was spotted near
the thermostat contacts.  Cleaned the contacts and have not had a
problem since.  It is surmised that many young spiders crawled up on
the open contacts and died when the contacts closed and thus
prevented the freezer from working.  Tragic.

Jeff Wongstrom
NABCEP Certified Solar Installer
Thirsty Lake Solar
406-889-5324