XW experience? [RE-wrenches]

Mark Edmunds mark.edmunds at xantrex.com
Thu Sep 6 17:05:30 PDT 2007

Doug, Wrenches - thought I should chime in here to help clarify what has
been going on with the XW product series.

* we shipped over 30 units back in Sept 2006 for field trial deployment
(just prior to Solar Power 2006)
* at Solar Power 2006 we did not launch XW, however we did show it as we
were getting close...having just dispatched field trial units.  (Launch
means that it is available from our distributors.)
* while field trial hardware has worked flawlessly, we did uncover
software bugs (particularly around grid tie and parallel operation) that
needed to be solved prior to commercial shipments (they are solved now
with lots of bug-free run time).  As the XW uses all digital controls
this proved to be a more difficult undertaking than we
thought...BUT...we will not release this product without it being ready.
 We do apologize for the delay.
* we began commercial shipments in July of this year once we got our
final regulatory approval in June.  Quantities have been very small (~
20 XW Inverters with BOS and MPPT) as we work through the production
ramp up phase.
* prior to Solar Power 2007 we will fulfill many distributor orders so
we can truly launch XW in our booth...and indicate to dealers that it is
available from distribution.

As far as the XW MPPT being "me too"...(sarcasm noted (-: ), there are
some differences like; no internal cooling fan (passive cooling via
large heat-sink), dynamic MPPT (like a grid tie inverter) not 10 minute
sweeps, integrated ground fault detection, 5 year (vs 2) standard
warranty, fully networked with XW so config can be done off a single
display (without requiring a "hub").

Doug, stop by the booth at Solar Power for more details...

Cheers,

Mark

Mark Edmunds
Xantrex Technology Inc.