Outback and gensets was: Selecting an inverter/battery system [RE-wrenches]

Walt Ratterman wratterman at SunEnergyPower.com
Wed Sep 5 03:22:44 PDT 2007

Jeff:

Walt Ratterman here.

I have done many Outback hybrid systems with generators and all of them
are in very remote areas.  I would be glad to share with you what I have
learned.

I am in route back to the states now, and if you want we can discuss
these issues over the phone, but some basic principles are:

The generators should not be undersized.

If you are using large, three phase generators, you should see if it
works to make the Outback system three phase as well - balances out the
charging load on the generator much better, and works well.

Be sure not to get a cheap generator, or a "standby" generator.

I simply refuse to do any automatic start systems anymore.  Even if the
generator controls are great, and everything seems like it will work,  I
will not do it. These remote systems need to have operators who are
interested and know that the systems require constant attention.

Instead of auto-start, I use the aux relay to (a) light a light in a
prominent location to indicate that the system thinks the batteries need
charging soon, and (b) sound a loud, obnoxious horn.  I have it so the
horn can be silenced for 6 hours, but the light can will not go out
until the system is no longer calling for a charge.

I set all of the battery protection set points considerably higher (more
conservative) than the factory defaults.

And then......lots and lots and lots of training.

Be glad to go over more with you off line.  Just did a bunch of
hospitals - some solar some shitty grid UPS systems, all over Rwanda....

See ya,

Walt