CFL follow-up [RE-wrenches]

Randy Sadewic randy at positiveenergysolar.com
Thu Aug 30 08:09:00 PDT 2007

Wrenches,
Good thread! I ran some calculations based on the LBNL 6 min reduction
per on/off just to understand what this means. The results match LBNL.
Yet there are two statements I would add:

1. CFL cost of ownership is generally cheaper (cost per hour of use)
unless you switch the light on/off 20 times or more a day, and you use
the CFL 5 minutes or less per day.
2. The mercury consumed using CFL is probably higher if you compare CFL
mercury content to the energy consumed assuming the 50% mix of coal in
our energy portfolio.

IMHO, CFL's are so much more efficient that it is very hard to justify
incandescents in almost any case.  Therefore, we should demand higher
quality or pay more to get it. I would rather disperse mercury from a
light bulb since it can be recycled than a power plant which disperses
the mercury democratically. The market is quickly responding to the
mercury issue by producing CFLs that contain 80% less mercury
http://www.1000bulbs.com/products.php?cat=Neolite-Compact-Fluorescents-2
700-Kelvin
and making recycling more available (www.lamprecycle.org)while our power
plants regulations controlling mercury are moving at the speed of a
glacier.

I would be happy to send my spreadsheet to anyone who wants to check my
numbers and assumptions or run there own scenarios.

Randy