was generator - now Magnum Inverters [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters walters at taosnet.com
Fri Aug 24 14:42:56 PDT 2007

<x-flowed>

We just started using Magnum Inverters. Overall we have been pleased
with them. The sine wave is noticablly cleaner than Outback, the
surge is better than their very extensive ratings, the wiring is much
nicer than the "you spoke, we listened" Outback nightmare AC
compartment, but the no load draw on the Magnums is ridiculous. Their
literature says 2 amps @ 24 volts which is about what your
measurements confirm. That's enough daily energy draw to run a
refrigerator.  We're still not sure how to deal with it, I already
had problems with the no load draw of the Outbacks compared to the
good old DR inverters (only 10 watts on, 1 watt search)
Almost 1200 watt hours/ day is too much to take for smaller systems
(under 1000 watts)

Ray

On Aug 24, 2007, at 1:18 PM, David Palumbo, Independent Power & Light
wrote:

> Bob,
>
> I have liked some aspects of the Magnum and have been disappointed
> with
> others.
>
> No load power draw with inverter (MS2812) on and AC breakers off =
> 43 watts
> vs Out Back at 20 watts.
> Magnum's literature claims 25 watts no load.
>
> Also, I find that the search mode does not work as well as the Out
> Back. I
> can not get this MS2812 to go into search at anything less than
> 20w, even
> with the AC breakers all off. The power savings in search mode are
> not great
> either (13.5w on 50w setting, 27w on the 30w search setting, and
> 36w at the
> 20w setting). All of these numbers are read from a reliable
> TriMetric meter
> and have been checked and double checked.
>
> These are tough numbers to ignore for off grid situations where
> efficiency
> is highly valued.
>
> Dave

R. Walters