Outback Power AC voltage fluctuation [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Wongstrom thirstylake at interbel.net
Wed Aug 22 06:03:57 PDT 2007

<x-flowed>

Hello Jay,

I came across the same issue about a year ago.  The Fluke 87 measured
several volts lower than the mate when the generator was running like
115 Fluke and 123 mate.  I called tech support and they told me that
the Fluke needed recalibration!  So I grabbed four meters, three
inverters, three mates, and three generators and tested them all out
in different combinations.  Guess what?  The mates consistently read
higher by several volts than all the DMM's with all the generators.
Inverter power measured the same with mates and DMM's.

I also have experienced the "normal" voltage fluctuations(pulsing)
while charging.  A single VFX charged steady but when a second VfX
was stacked the charging fluctuates.  First tech support  questioned
the size of the battery(8 L16H) and then told me this was normal
operation.  Maybe normal but it is still annoying.  Just like the
generator breakers tripping when the Outback charger is loading the
generator at capacity and a vacuum or a clothes washer is turned on
(limiting the max ac in does not prevent this, only limiting the
charging amps to bring down generator base loading does).

Jeff Wongstrom
NABCEP Certified Solar Installer
Thirsty Lake Solar
406-889-5324