Demand heater for SHW backup [RE-wrenches]

Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services toddcory at finestplanet.com
Wed Aug 22 06:01:45 PDT 2007

<x-flowed>

Ian Woofenden, Home Power wrote:

>> If you have a SDHW system, you already have a tank... so super
>> insulate that and use the top element as your (electric) back up.
>

> I have heard other SHW people question this approach, saying that it
> doesn't maximize solar production. In other words, there will be times
> when you heat water with electricity and then when the sun comes out,
> you can't make the most of it, because your tank is already hot. How
> do you answer that?

True if the tank is not large, having the top electrically heated will
limit the amount of cold water available for the SDHW system to heat. It
also limits the amount of electric backup to just the top of the tank,
which makes baths difficult - if anyone takes wasteful baths anymore.
Around here, with our seasonal moisture most people I know that have
systems like this just shut the electric off for the summer. This leaves
the whole tank for the SDHW to heat.

Todd

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php