system expansion [RE-wrenches]

John Berdner jberdner at sma-america.com
Tue Aug 21 10:13:19 PDT 2007

Sky/Wrenches:

During the last code cycle we were trying to address the issue of bus
bars and cables and the 120% rule.
Basically we were discussing the fact that if the breakers for the PV
were installed at the bottom of the panel (farthest from the main lugs)
you can not create an over current situation anywhere on the bus.
The current from the grid flows down from the top and the PV current up
from the bottom.

The Square D guy had a very interesting point that I had not
considered.
One of the issues in a distribution panel is thermal loading caused by
the breakers themselves.
When you add PV (or other generation sources) to a panel you are adding
the heat load of the PV breakers (40 Amps on a 200 Amp residential
panel).  You also create a situation where you can supply 240 Amps of
load breakers in the same panel.
The total thermal loading of the panel is potentially 480 Amps worth of
breakers (200 main, 240 load, 40 PV).
Square D was saying that the plastics that support the bus bars can get
too hot and deform in this situation especially if the panel is exposed
to direct sun.
He did not go so far to say this would create a hazard but he did say
this was something they do not test for so it potentially could be an
issue.
At minimum I can see how it could lead to increased tripping of
breakers in hot climates.

Best Regards,

John Berdner