power quality problems [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks bill at brooksolar.com
Sat Jul 28 13:00:30 PDT 2007

Marco,

I sincerely doubt that the power quality problems are a direct result of the
new wind turbines. These new turbines are all inverter-based, variable-speed
units, and do not create the same frequency oscillations that were caused by
the older induction-generator-based units.

I think the power quality sucks on the big island because so much load has
been added and the system is barely able to keep up with it. Don't blame
renewables for problems caused by mega-air conditioning loads on the Kona
side of the island. You need more PV over there to reduce the load on the
transmission and distribution system. The system can handle way more PV than
it has right now, but the operating parameters of the systems will have to
be adjusted. Because the grid fluctuations are so large in the islands, the
mainland-based operating parameters simply do not apply. We actually wrote
that directly into the IEEE 929 standard because we knew the tight voltage
and frequency limits of IEEE 929 would cause problems in Hawaii--and
amazingly they are.

Bill.

Bill Brooks, PE
Brooks Engineering
873 Kells Circle
Vacaville, CA 95688
office and mobile phone: 707-332-0761
fax:707-451-7739
email: billbrooks7 at yahoo.com
web: www.brooksolar.com

Ecclesiastes 11:7 Light is sweet, and it pleases the eyes to see the sun.

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com
This email was sent to: michael_welch at sbcglobal.net