power quality problems [RE-wrenches]

Tom Elliot, Guffey Energy Works telliot at wagonmaker.com
Thu Jul 26 20:42:11 PDT 2007

Actually, this same issue is coming up on Maui as well with about 250MW of
grid generation capacity and a 30MW windfarm.  The windfarm is contractually
limited to 10% of the grid but actually winds up providing around 8%.  The
problem here is that the windfarm has tighter tolerances for frequency
variation than does the grid and they had to loosen it a bit to keep the
windfarm from dropping off the grid in response to fluctuations (though keep
it within acceptable limits) because the windfarm dropping off is what
really causes grid problems.  Each island is literally an island of power
unto itself with nothing to buffer usage and supply problems.  If one big
diesel generator drops offline or the windfarm drops offline there are real
problems.

Tom