power quality problems [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 26 20:57:47 PDT 2007

<x-flowed>

December 26, 2006, I asked the members of
distributed-generation at yahoogroups.com There is much discussion in the
United States about the perceived difficulty managing wind and solar power's
variable input to the electric utility grid. Yet Japan, Germany, Denmark,
the Netherlands, etc. have very dense distributed wind and PV in some
locations and seem to be managing variable grid input successfully. Are
there any reports on how DG variability is managed?

The discussion went on until about 1/17/07 with several interesting links
and can be reviewed at
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/distributed-generation/

In summary, 15% of Denmark's electricity comes from wind power generators.
Germany has more wind generated electricity than any other country. Both
countries integrate variable wind power smoothly into the electric grid.
Japanese engineers report that locales with a lot of DG PV actually have
more stable grid power.

This is not to say that the windfarm in HI is not a problem. A little data
acquisition will identify the culprit.
---------

One person from Scotland replied:
A few anecdotal points about Denmark:

- Electrically, Denmark is managed in two halves: Eastern and Western.

- "Copenhagen is part of Sweden" said one Danish colleague!   In other
words, interconnectors are an important part of energy balancing in Eastern
Denmark.   Nordpool operates right across Scandinavia, and Norway
contributes lots of balancing energy from hydro to the rest of the market.

- Western Denmark does have some grid constraints, and the huge presence of
wind does take careful balancing.

- Denmark has 50% CHP penetration, with lots of plants of every conceivable
size.   The population, and dispersion, of small generators is massive.
The smaller generators participate in system balancing to a greater extent
than in other countries.   Typically, Danish CHP (district heating variety)
is equipped with large hot water stores, so the heat load and the
electricity demand can be partially decoupled.   This allows the CHP to
participate in energy balancing.

- As Denmark was an early adopter of wind energy, I expect they would have
more reactive power problems than would be encountered in an area populated
with modern machines.   I believe that Germany contributes reactive power to
Western Denmark but I don't know how critical that support is.

About Germany, I have heard of two reasons why balancing of wind power is
seen as problematic:

(1) wind is heavily concentrated around the north sea coast, so there is
little geographical spread effect to smooth out the output changes.   Isn't
Germany still the no.1 wind power producer worldwide?  So that would be a
big effect.

(2) until a few years ago, the four transmission system operators (who also
owned the large thermal stations) were not allowed to invest in wind energy.
It's been suggested in the energy press that this made the TSOs dislike wind
energy more than they might have done if it weren't a direct competitor.   I
understand the rules have changed since then, so hopefully that isn't true
any more, if it ever was.

All anecdotal and some hearsay; others will have more accurate information.
But in short, despite the fact that Denmark and Germany lead the world in
wind energy, neither country has fallen off a cliff.
--------------

One person working for the Danish TSO (that would be an ISO in the States).
That is true that Denmark is challenging the variability of wind and
dispersed generation every day. There are many controls which must be and
are activated to operate such a complex power system as ours. Among these
controls are the market mechanisms, an AGC (what we call an LFC in the UCTE
system), strong grid connections for trading power with the neighbours,
control of power plants etc. There is a challenge, yes, but so far it is
working here and we expect more wind and dispersed generation in our and our
neighbours' systems, so it has to work.

Email me off-list f you would like a copy of the papers written by the
person working for the Danish TSO.

Joel Davidson