form 12-s green tag meter [RE-wrenches]

Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services toddcory at finestplanet.com
Tue Jul 3 09:59:41 PDT 2007

Ok, I called Jake and he forwarded me to Brent Carper (253-395-6818) who
works in the Puget Sound Energy metering department. I had a long
conversation with him about how to meter battery based, grid tied
inverters.

The form 12s meter (recommended by Outback) is designed for 120/208 3
phase so it is expecting to see 120º of phase difference between
the two legs rather than 180º, and being analog meters use the same
core for both meter coils, the physics of this would suggest even an
analog meter will not accurately read net power produced (but it will
probably be only 1 or 2% off).

The best way to accomplish this is with a digital, form 12s meter. Now,
not any old form 12s meter will work (sigh). These meters come in three
varieties:

1- The most common default configuration is cumulative read. This will
NOT work.
2- The other two configurations are net register or
3- dual register

Both of these (2 & 3 above) will work, although net register will do the
calculations for you and dual register (sometimes called dual function)
will leave you with separate buy and sell totals that will need to be
manually added together at the end of each billing cycle.

As far as I now know this is accurate information, but I have several
meters coming that I am going to test out to confirm the above details.
Hopefully Outback will annotate this on their "green tag meter" pdf.

http://www.outbackpower.com/pdfs_general/Form%2012S%20Green-Tag%20meter.pdf

Todd

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php