form 12-s green tag meter [RE-wrenches]

Kent Osterberg kent at coveoregon.com
Fri Jun 22 11:38:01 PDT 2007

<x-flowed>

Todd,

Manufacturer's of digital meters make them in several versions. The
default version from some manufacturer's records power flow in either
direction as a positive. That'll make your numbers off but probably not
by a factor of exactly two. When purchasing a digital meter, you must
specify if you want detented; recording in one direction only; or net
registering; records positive in one direction and negative for power
flow in the reverse direction (like spinning a conventional meter
backwards). The diagram shown on Outback's website only works with older
disk-type meters or digital ones that net register. I brought this to
Christopher's attention about a year ago; but it takes them a loooong
time to update or correct online documents.

Kent Osterberg
Blue Mountain Energy, LLC

Wrenches,

Our local utility is rolling out an incentive feeding trough next year,
and in anticipation of that I decided to put a green tag meter on my
personal grid tied Outback system to test out the procedure.

I have a used digital ABB meter I bought from Austin International wired
in (correctly) and it is reading 7 kW of power flow and displaying over
double the kWh it should be. The circuit I am working with
://www.outbackpower.com/pdfs_general/Form%2012S%20Green-Tag%20meter.pdf)
specifies "Self-Contained Polyphase KWH meter. Model #R-12S-1513. 120
VAC 60 AMP “5 Jaw” Type." Has anyone else gotten this to work right? Are
there different kinds of form 12s meters? I am wondering if the meter
voltage is not right if this might be creating the problem?

Thanks for the help, I have never worked with this kind of meter before
so am unsure what the problem might be.

Todd

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php