Flexible Conduit [RE-wrenches]

Phil Undercuffler p.undercuffler at conergy.us
Mon May 21 16:18:12 PDT 2007

Mark,

--By the way, I tried sending this message this morning, but after
getting Michael's posting I realized it didn't go out.  If you get two
copies tomorrow, just delete this one --

The thinking behind the metal raceways through the structure, as I've
understood it, is to provide physical protection for the array wiring,
to protect the proverbial remodeling homeowner armed with a sawzall from
cutting into the array feed.  After all, how many of us have turned off
the main breaker and started gleefully hacking into the walls, knowing
we're "safe" from live wires?  While Harry Homeowner may think nothing
of chopping through some random romex, the hope is that he'll think a
bit before whacking through a conduit.

Worse case, the metal conduit will provide a return current path
(through the sawzall blade) to trip the GFP.

I would have a friendly discussion with your inspector, to see if he
would accept MC Cable as meeting the intent, if not the letter of the
law.  However, you would then need to ensure that your MC Cable fittings
could meet the requirements of 250.97, Bonding for Over 250 Volts.

As far as the 360 rule, MC Cable is a cable assembly, or factory
assembled system of conductors and metal sheathing, while FMC is a
conduit.  Conduits are limited to 360 degrees of bends before passing
through a pull point.  Cable assemblies can be formed into any number of
pretzels (while maintaining a semblance of good workmanship, of course),
as the conductors are integral parts of the assembly.

Phil Undercuffler
Technical Services Manager
Conergy, Inc.
1730 Camino Carlos Rey Suite 103