Deka Unigy batteries [RE-wrenches]

John Raynes john at raynes.com
Wed May 2 12:02:37 PDT 2007

<x-flowed>

Wrenches,

Anyone have experience with the Deka Unigy II AGM batteries for off-grid
solar applications?  We've got a customer who really wants maintenance-free
and is willing to pay a fair amount for the privilege.  These units
configure and rack like the top of the line Absolytes and C&D's - they're
self racking (laying on their sides) with all busbar connections
included.  They have shorter life and deep cycle ratings than the
Absolytes, but the pricing that we're getting reflects that fact, and I'm
satisfied with the performance that they claim we'll be getting.

This will be a residence that is only used part time (but used heavily
during that time).  I've designed for better than C/20 solar charge, and
the system will also have sufficient generator capacity to run a pair of
VFX3648s at their max inverter charge limits.  I specified the 95 series
Unigy's.

Anything not to like (or to watch out for) with these guys?

Thanks,
John Raynes
RE Solar
Torrey, UT